If you live in West Virginia, are between the ages of 16-19, and are enrolled in the 11th grade you could be the winner of a full, four-year tuition, fees, room and board scholarship.
Read official rules below.
The scholarship grand prize is provided by West Virginia Wesleyan College and the Culpepper Wesleyan Scholars Award to MetroNews, to be granted to the MetroNews West Virginia Scholar Competition winner as determined by management/ College and Sponsors associated with the West Virginia Scholar Competition. The contest and rules presented below are prepared in good faith. A process that includes the selection of qualified applicants, reviews of applications, interviews of applicants and listener voting will determine the winner as described below. All decisions of the management on the process and award of the grand prize are final.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. The MetroNews West Virginia Scholar Competition ("Contest") is open only to persons who are currently enrolled as juniors
in high school in West Virginia, all of whom must be legal U.S. Residents ages 16 to 19 at time of entry who are not currently enrolled at West Virginia Wesleyan College. Parents or guardians of minors must reside within West Virginia. Sponsor reserves the right to verify eligibility to its satisfaction, and shall be the sole judge as to whether an entrant is eligible for this contest.
1. ENTRY: Contest begins February 11, 2019 and ends April 12th, 2019 (This includes application, evaluation and voting period. There is one method of competition entry: ON-LINE at www.wvmetronews.com. Application may be printed to gather information, but then must be submitted on-line and received by application deadline which is April 12th, 2019.
Please complete entry form with your full name, address, phone number, birth date and the answers to each question as thoroughly and accurately as possible.
Each field must be answered for contest entry. Applications will not be considered if incomplete. Completion of answers will be measured in review process and in qualifying for next round. Application must be received on or before April 12th, 2019.
2. PRIZE: First Prize: Four-year scholarship for undergraduate study including tuition, fees, room, and board at West Virginia Wesleyan College in Buckhannon, West Virginia. The winning scholar must enroll in the fall 2020 semester. The scholarship will be awarded for four consecutive years and will terminate at the end of the fourth consecutive school year. The total estimated value of the Grand Prize is $160,000.
Second Prize is a four-year $5,000 scholarship and third prize is a four-year $2,500 scholarship to West Virginia Wesleyan College beginning with the 2019 fall semester. These scholarships can be combined with other Wesleyan academic scholarships. However, please note that West Virginia Wesleyan has strict maximum ceilings when combining any other institutional scholarship and financial aid awards.
Under no circumstances will MetroNews be obligated to award value of prize money in monetary payment/s. Prize must be accepted as awarded and is non-transferable.
3. WINNER SELECTION: After the end of the Application Round of the competition the entries will be narrowed to up to 15 semi finalists, these will be selected from the qualified applicants. These semi finalists will be reviewed by the sponsors of the program and MetroNews. The names of up to 10 applicants will be selected to move on to be the MetroNews West Virginia Scholar Finalists. Those finalists will be voted on by MetroNews listeners, all three scores will be averaged; the West Virginia Wesleyan ranking, Sponsor and MetroNews ranking and raw vote totals. Only one (1) grand prize will be awarded. The decision of the review board and voting process is final. In the event that an entrant is not eligible, MetroNews and West Virginia Wesleyan will have the right to select another entrant as a Grand Prize Winner. The potential Grand Prize Winner is subject to eligibility verification and compliance with these official rules.
- MetroNews, West Virginia Wesleyan College and the MetroNews West Virginia Scholar sponsors, and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotions agencies, and all of their respective officers, directors, shareholders (collectively, "Releases") are not responsible for printing errors; inaccurate, forged, incomplete, stolen, lost, illegible, mutilated, tampered with, postage-due, misdirected, delayed or late entries; each of which will be disqualified. Releases and any Internet access or service providers are not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry of entry information, human error, technical malfunctions, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failures of any telephone network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof, inability to access Web sites, or damage to a user's computer system (hardware or software) due to participation in this Contest. Void where prohibited by law and subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
4. WINNERS: If Grand Prize winner is a minor, all responsibilities outlined herein will be assumed by his/her parent/legal guardian ("Parent"). Tuition Scholarship will be awarded to winner if: 1) upon graduation of High School the winner attends West Virginia Wesleyan College for the following semester on a full time matriculated basis. Disqualification of a winner and the selection of an alternate winner may result from any of the following:
(1) Failure of a potential Grand Prize Finalist to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability/Publicity Release within seven days from the date of receipt of the documents;
(2) The return of any notification as undeliverable;
(3) Failure of tuition winner to attend West Virginia Wesleyan College as described above; or
(4) any other non-compliance with these official rules.
For name of winner, send self-addressed, stamped envelope by April 30, 2019 to: MetroNews, Attn: Joe Parsons, 1111 Virginia Street East, Charleston WV 25301.
5. ELIGIBILITY: Employees of sponsor; its parent, subsidiary or affiliated organizations; or the advertising, promotional or fulfillment agencies of any of them, and members of their immediate household families are not eligible to enter the MetroNews West Virginia Scholar Competition. All entries become the property of MetroNews.
Entries will not be returned or acknowledged. Entrants agree that the Releases shall not be liable for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participating in this promotion or from the acceptance or use of any prize awarded or activity related hereto.
By entering this contest, entrants agree to be bound by these official rules and consent to the use of their name, city and state of residence, likeness and/or photograph for promotional purposes online and off-line, including public appearances, without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
If the judges determine, in their sole discretion, that there is any suspected or actual electronic tampering with the contest or if technical difficulties compromise the integrity of the contest or if any non-compliance with the rules has occurred, the judges reserve the right to void the entries at issue and/or terminate the contest and conduct a random drawing to award the prizes using all eligible, non-suspect entries received in the applicable drawing pool as of the termination date.
Any attempt to deliberately damage the content or operation of this contest is unlawful and subject to legal action by the Sponsor or its agents. If, due to any reason whatsoever, an application is deemed untrue or the voting results are determined unmerited; MetroNews or the sponsor reserves the right to award the scholarship to an eligible candidate of their choice.
MetroNews reserves the right to amend competition rules or change competition rules at any time without notice in efforts of improving the success of the contest.
Questions regarding the MetroNews West Virginia Scholar Competition rules can be directed to:
attn: Joe Parsons
1111 Virginia Street East
Charleston, WV 25301
Office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday. MetroNews can be reached at 304.346.7055 or at email@example.com
6. HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST:
- Round 1, Part A - Application Process (2/11/19 - 4/15/19)
- Submit Application On-line at www.wvmetronews.com.
- Review Process (4/15/19 - 4/26/19)
Applications will be forwarded to a review board.
From these applications, up to 15 will be selected based on the applications and review process to move to the next Round. These will be the MetroNews West Virginia Scholar Semi-finalists.
- Semi-Finalists Review
- Round 3, Part A - Record Interviews (5/1/19 - 5/9/19) Semi-finalists will schedule studio time and record an interview with MetroNews. Must also submit Bio and Color Picture to post online; Failure to do so will eliminate candidate.
- Round 3, Part B - Semi-finalists interviews will be reviewed and scored by MetroNews and participating sponsors. From this process up to 10 finalists will be chosen.
- Finalists Announced
- Interviews Aired (5/22/19 - 6/15/19) Finalists recorded interviews are aired and bios and photos are posted on-line. This is when listeners are introduced to the MetroNews West Virginia Scholar. Listeners may vote for the finalists on-line.
- Contest Wrap-up
NOTE: By submitting an application for the West Virginia Scholar competition, the submitter agrees to having read, understand, and accept all rules and regulations specified herein
- Grand Prize Winner Announced (6/19/19)